Franconian dinner

This meal idea came from a delicious dinner I had in Rothenburg ob der Tauber.  Gnocchi with bacon and saurkraut in a brown gravy.  I added a steak on the side!
This is the dish I had at the Roter Hahn in Rothenburg... I must admit that mine was pretty close if not on point!

First you get some gnocchi and boil it til it starts floating to the top of the water, have a saute' pan ready with melted butter and toss the gnocchi into it and keep cooking until golden brown

For the brown gravy I cooked 2 steaks in a stainless steel skillet, remove the steaks from the pan and keep warm in the oven.  With the meat drippings left in the pan deglaze the pan with a good red wine.  I added the smoked slab bacon bits and a brown gravy mix that I bought at the German grocery store. Cook for about 5 minutes, add some rosemarin and parsley.

Dish up the brown gnocchi and steak, cover in the gravy with bacon.  I leave some extra gravy out and gave a quick saute' to my saurkraut.
Perfect Franconian dinner!


I didn't feel too bad having French wine with my German/Franconian dinner.  It was the best choice!

Hope you can try this meal sometime... it's a bit heavy but thoroughly enjoyable!!!

xoxo...
Queen VII

Comments