Frikadellen

American's know how to make a really good cheeseburger, but I have to admit that the German's have us beat in the meat part!  Frikadellen are sort of the equivalent of a burger: a ground beef patty, eaten on a bread roll (mit brotchen) with ketchup or mustard (senf).  They make it at all the festivals and quick stop restaurants (Imbiss).  I have had it with cheese before.  They don't add all the fancy toppings and fixings.  It's all about the meat!

It's usually good enough to eat on it's own with a side dish of potatoes or noodles.  So, it is kind of like a burger/meatball/meatloaf in one!  I made some of my own in smaller size.  They can be as big or small as you want.

My recipe:
A pound to a pound and a half of ground beef.
1 or 2 eggs
Breadcrumbs
Garlic
Parsley
Salt and pepper
finely diced onion
any more seasoning you want or add a bit of dijon mustard

form into small patties and cook stovetop in olive oil.  
(this recipe was given to me by my friend Pia, who is German.  She makes it the best I have ever had!)

I served with sauteed potatoes and green beans.  Red wine is a good accompaniment.  My preference is Jacob's Creek Shiraz!

Let me know if you try this out!  Sorry for my vegetarian friends... if you don't like ground beef you might be able to try it with ground turkey, but make sure it is not the all white meat turkey!

xoxo....
Queen VII

Comments