All art is quite useless.

There was something so amazing that linked my two trips together.  It was so amazing visiting the Pere Lachaise cemetery, but the best part was visiting Oscar Wilde's tomb.  It was so interesting to go from visiting his childhood home and the monument dedicated to him in Dublin, and then to make it back on the continent and visit where he is laid to rest.  He truly had a life of both pleasure and pain and he left his mark on the world even though he died exiled, penniless and ill.

This past week there was a day dedicated to wearing purple in memory of all those who were gay and have suffered.  I unfortunately missed that day, but Oscar Wilde was one of those who truly suffered for being gay... for being who he truly was and no one should have to go through that.  I feel so lucky that I am able to be myself and dress how I want and live my life and be happy without any true suffering or shame cast upon me.

 From the beginning...
Oscar Wilde's childhood home, where he was born and raised.

Now the Irish American University

The only colorful statue in Dublin

"Women are meant to be loved, not understood."

 ... to the end.

The gravesite/tomb of Oscar Wilde, adorned with quotes and kisses.


Telling Avii who he was.

  Xoxo...Queen VII




  

Comments