Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Budget wardrobing, more color blocking

 I'm gonna make this post a two-parter... Today was better than I thought it could be!  Cuter outfit, glorious sunshine, thrifting success, a trip back from the tailor, shopping with my beebs... and some sweet tea!

I have been planning this color palette/outfit since it was gloomy and too cold out to even think about going out bare-gammed...  dreaming of wearing bright colors while watching the Gucci runway show on style.com... I think my legs are way too pale still, but they need to come out sometime!  It was a great day to wear a skirt!  I wanted to wear loads of color, gold and big chunky bangles that do NOT cost $900!

photo by Aveline!



this top has a weird split in the butt area

things




What I wore:
F21 hooded cardigan.  Coral colored tunic from the BX.  H&M skirt and braid belt.  Longchamp bag.  Wayfarers from San Francisco.  Gold flats bought on ebay.

I really want to talk about current fashion and the awesomeness that is thrifting and alterations.  It is completely feasible to be chic and trendy and do it on a budget.  I pride myself on being a budget-concious fashionista.  I am a wife and mother and am always looking to save a buck here and there, but I am always in love with the newer trends.  I went thrifting today and came upon another $5 bag sale day!!!!  Here is what I scored and the price points (not to be a bragass, but to prove my point!)...

Take this:
Accordion skirt.  I have been lusting after one since I saw them online... This is the dreamy American Apparel one. price point: $59 or so.
What I found (actually, Avii pulled it off the rack for me, bless her soul):




It was in the extra large section (don't avoid the other size sections! browse it all)... $89 brand new skirt, thrifted for $8.  I trimmed the bottom to be midi-length rather than extra long.  SAVED: $51 plus shipping!

I have been really into finding bottoms I love.  I find it harder and way more expensive to find bottoms I like, so I am planning on bringing my pants, shorts and skirts I love and shopping for tops when I get to California.  I have really been into trousers.  Being a colorblocking fan I am digging the bright pants look!

Zara trousers, going for $59.90:


What I got:
Bought at German flea market for 1 euro.  Tailored to fit for 7 euros.  Total: 8 euros, with the rate, it's about $11.  Amount saved: $48!

I love the chic chinos and male inspired trousers look.
These are cheap ones from H&M going for about 20 euros.
Here's what I found:
Thrifted for $3.  Tailored for 7 euros.  Striped top (Esprit) was in my $5 bag sale bag!

Charcoal trousers, thrifted for $3, tailored for 7 euros.  Top (in need of ironing!) was part of the $5 bag sale today.

The other goodies I found today:

S. Oliver tee.  Gap button fly boyfriend jeans I might cut into shorts. Both in the $5 bag!


Slouchy linen-ish pants, $5 bag sale!

Red skirt... in the bag!

In total:
$8  Accordion skirt (not part of bag sale)
$5  Bag sale items:  jeans, linen pants, tee, striped top, orange top, red skirt.
$3 Chinos
$3 Charcoal trousers
22 euros, alterations

$19 plus 22 euros (about $30)

TOTAL:  $49!!!    
Crazy right?!  4 pants, 2 skirts, 3 tops!   Not a bad trip.  And I know that although it was about $10 to tailor each pair of pants, They fit me exactly how I would like and I will get much more wear out of something I fit comfortably in.  It's still cheaper than even 20 euros a pair!

So again, I preach the greatness of thrifting... sometimes it takes time to find the things you really want (accordion skirt!), but it is usually always worth the wait!

XOXO....
Queen VII

4 comments:

  1. GREAT finds, I actually like your versions better than the expensive versions! the skirt is my fave, and I really want bright pants too :)

    love your outfit too, gorgeous colorcombo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all these outfits; you simply look dashing. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I love your take on color blocking! Well done.
    L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh! Loving all the color! $46??? That's better than the thrift stores here!! Can't wait to watch you style all the pieces. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!