The Fashion Reboot I needed

Oh, how I miss my husband and the inspiration and raw truth he would bring to my life, in reference to my outfits as well (remember the "you look like a beach ball" comment? "in colors, not shape!" he tried recovering with).  He is simple: Jeans or shorts, tee of some kind (only crew neck), hoodies, canvas or leather jacket, prefers dress shirts from Express or Banana Republic. Accessories limited to watches, leather cuffs, simple necklace, fedora or fitted ball cap.  Super. Simple. Comfortable. Easy. Always looks great...
He does not keep up on fashion yet he reads every blog I write... so he asks me this morning on our daily phone call:
"Why don't you dress weird anymore?  When we lived in Germany you wore some really strange outfits."
My husband thinks I am a SELL OUT!!
Which really got me thinking...
I DID dress a bit riskier in Europe.  I planned my outfits carefully and with thought and fun.  I took my inspiration from high fashion and street style couture (if there is such a thing)... that was my thing and I like to think it still it!  I like the challenge of taking on a look that can cost thousands and finding a way to achieve the feel of that look for dimes on the dollar! 
I am by no means saying that styles should remain the same... that is the joy of fashion and clothes... they change... the aims should be the same though...
Moving back to California, this last year has been a shopaholic whirlwind for me (one that I may need therapy for, actually), and the husband thinks I have turned into a, how did he put it??: "suuuuuper girly pretty girl."  
Is that a bad thing?  I thought he might have enjoyed the fact that I was getting out of my Manrepeller, high fashion mode... not on purpose, but maybe subconciously.  He pointed out how my thrifting and shopping was more adventurous and less about fitting in.  Europeans are much more liberal in their dressing... you don't have to try as hard to fit in, on the contrary, it is admirable to stand out and look interesting or amazing or interestingly amazing! 

I have pondered and I think I caught up to where I am now in my dressing and why I wear what I wear:

#1 "ManRepeller" Fashion invokes negative/odd/strange stares in the suburban areas of Antelope/Roseville, where I live my daily life.  I know it shouldn't matter... we aren't kids in school anymore, being afraid to be made fun of, however, nobody wants to deal with snickers and stares everyday walking through the grocery store or Target or picking up my daughter from school.  I will not stoop to the level of wearing yoga pants and running shoes anywhere other than the gym, though.  I will definitely MISS that about Europe, or maybe I just need to drive out to the city more often and conduct my affairs on that side of town.

#2 "ManRepeller" Fashion is not sexy.  Being in California, there are a lot of sexy mamas around town.  If you wanna get noticed for a good reason, dress hott! And by hott, I mean sexy in fit, cut, whatever.  A V-neck tee with some nice normal fitted jeans and boots and a Juicy Couture or Coach bag is "sexy."  My manrepeller idea of sexy would be some highwaisted jeans ("mom jeans" to the non fashionite"), a sheer, collared blouse buttoned to the top that you can probably see some sort of bra-type-thing under, and some rockstar moto-boots.  Add some awesome Karen Walker-inspired circle sunnies and see what kinda looks you get...  V-neck girl would appeal to menfolk, average womenfolk, pretty much everyone. "Mom-jeans" girl would appear girl-crush sexy to some teen girls and other fashionistas on the other side of town.  I feel like being married, I don't dress for my husband, because he loves me even if I dress like a beach ball, but I have it in my own head that I need to appear to be some kind of trophy wife, and not the high fashion, freelance writer, super-mom that I am in my head, and that is my problem and no one else's. 

#3 The Sophphphphfffistication Factor.  In my own head, I am Mademoiselle Fancypants du Innes of Chateau Aveline Isabel.  I am fancy.  Always have been. Always will be. Leave it at that.  But life doesn't always allow you to dress for a tea party everyday.  At least not in Antelope.  As I am getting older there is always that stigma waiting on the horizon: "Is that really appropriate?"  So I question everything I wear now with that pretext.  Is it appropriate?? My mum is the most well-dressed and appropriate woman I know.  IS.  And she looks amazing and is always best dressed pretty much everywhere we go.  She is classy and sophisticated and comfortable all rolled up into one stylish-with-a-splash-of-trendy person.  She has rubbed off on me and taken me to another level of dress.  BUT, we are very different.  I am colorful and strange.  I am edgy.  These are things that make me unique from her.  And I like to think that I have rubbed off on her too!  I love sparkle and shine (like my grandmother), "bling" as we call it, and brought more of that into her life!  I introduced her to European fashions and brands and keep her very up to date on the latest designs and trends.  It's sophisticated to be up to date on these things right?  I know how to pronounce the names of the fashion houses and I know the names of the heads, 'cuz I'm fancy!  Maybe I just need to be more secure in my own brand of sophphphffistication.

Man, I love my husband so, so, so much.  He really does know what I need to hear, even when I don't know it.  What better time to get a kick in the ego than fashion week?!  NYFW... I look forward to it so much.  Some day I will BE there... even as a simple spectator.  I love all the streetstyle shots that are on the web right now...  New inspiration for my reboot! If I were able to dress up and walk the streets of NY during fashion week....





Oh, the wild webs I would spin...
There is hope for me yet!!!  I need to jump back on my Carrie Bradshaw bandwagon and be sexy and creative and sophisticated and manrepelling like I used to be!!!  
Thanks, husband!
And I will keep in mind what you said as well: "You need to wear lots of skirts... I like you in skirts." and shorts... apparently, he's a leg man!  High-waisted mom-butt shorts show plenty of leg!!! 

I hope everyone enjoys their weekend and the fashion shows online and on style network, or if you are lucky enough to be there: fuck you and your truffle fries eating, redbull drinking, highfashion wearing lucky bitch selves! ;-)  Jk, totes jelly over here!!! luh u!!!

xoxo...
Vanessa

Comments